Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Hawaii Day 1

Friday morning, September 20th, I was up way too early so that I could catch my flight to Hawaii. My flight was at 8:45 am which meant that I wanted to be there about 6:45 and I was so nervous and excited that of course I couldn't sleep so I woke up around 3:30 am. Yeah, that's me. Big ball of stress, nerves and excitement. I got ready and my Father-In-Law took me to the airport since I had gone up to their place the night before.

Once he dropped me off I got checked in, went through security and then found my gate. Once I knew where I was going, I went and grabbed some food since I had a little bit of time until it was time to board. Shortly after I finished my food, my flight boarded. The first flight to Seattle was only a couple of hours, so I listened to my iPod and slept a little bit, but since it was a shorter flight I didn't  do much. 

Once I was in Seattle I had a four hour layover, but it went by pretty quickly since it took me at least half an hour to get to my next gate and then I got some Starbucks and some lunch. My next flight was from Seattle to Bellingham, WA. And the plane was a little cracker jack plane. I hate those, but it was a super short flight. Like 30 minutes. Once I was in Bellingham I had another hour or so til my last flight which was direct to Honolulu.

My flight to Honolulu was about five and half hours long. And it was a very light load as far as passengers go, so I had an entire row to myself which was super nice. I got to stretch out. I also bought the in flight entertainment for $10 so I got to enjoy the last two Harry Potter movies which took up most of my time, so my flight really seemed to go by quickly. My $10 was very much worth it!

I landed in Hawaii around 7 pm local time. I was so excited and anxious to see the bestie that it took all that I had not to run through the airport to go find my luggage. After I did get my luggage, I was waiting outside the airport for them. And I was looking for their car so intently that I didn't even realize that Lou had gotten out of the car a ways down and was walking toward me. She said something to get my attention and when I realized it was her I screamed and ran towards her and threw my arms around her. I was soooooooo excited to see her that I had a hard time not crying. It was just so great to be with my best friend again.

Once we had all my luggage loaded into the car, we headed into Waikiki where we went to the Hale Koa and had dinner at this really great place that I can't remember the name of. But I remember that it had crazy 80's neon colors and weird shapes on the menu. Lou and I decided that it looked like it belonged on the set of "Saved By The Bell." Lou and I both ordered a stone fired pizza while her Mom and Husband both ordered some type of fish. All of our food was delicious despite the menu looking all crazy. I would definitely go back and eat there again. 

We were just finishing up dinner when we saw a family at a table near us all jump up and start panicking. Then they yelled out for a doctor or a nurse. One of the men at the table was having a heart attack. I have never seen anything like that actually happen before but it was really scary. Lou's Mom has been a Nurse and in the medical field for a very long time and Lou's Husband is trained in combat medic stuff because he is in the Army, so they both jumped up and helped until the Ambulance arrived. It was crazy seeing something like this actually happen. I feel like it only happens in the movies/TV, but it was definitely real life. I felt so awful for the family. You could just see how upset they were. 

After dinner and all of the commotion, we decided to just walk around Waikiki for a little bit. We went down and walked on the edge of the beach for a little bit and played in the water. I was just so excited to be there so I was kind of just soaking everything in. We kept walking along the beach and we came upon a couple of service men and women who kept kicking a bunch of trash all over the beach and saying "oops" instead of picking it up. So Lou, being 9 months pregnant bent over and picked it up and said something along the lines of, "Don't worry, I am 9 months pregnant and I picked it up." Then one of the service men turned around and was yelling at her and got in her face which her Husband was not okay with! He got right back in his face. I just couldn't believe that he tried to go after a pregnant Woman. It was just crazy and stupid and he shouldn't have done what he did, but it happened. 

After all the craziness and fun and some more walking around, we finally headed back to their place which was on the other side of the island. By the time we got there it was pretty late so we all headed to bed. At that point I had been up for over 24 hours and I was definitely starting to feel the effects of it. I definitely slept very well that night. 

It was a long day, but it ended in the best way possible, with me being reunited with my best friend. And I couldn't have asked for a better first day of vacation. And the week only got better, so check in tomorrow for another recap!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, that sounds like a long first day! You must have been exhausted!


Comments are way rad and totally make my day. I love reading each and everyone one of them :)