Tuesday, August 28, 2012

That Time the Fire Department Came to My House

You know it is going to be an awesome day when the first thing that happens in your day is a visit from the Fire Department. Yep! Totally happened to us this morning.

The Hubby and I were getting ourselves ready for work when all of a sudden this super loud and obnoxious screaching started echoing throughout the house. We thought at first that it was the smoke detectors, so we were running around the house trying to see if anything was on fire. Then once we determined that there wasn't anything on fire, we realized that it was our Carbon Monoxide detector that was going off.

This was about the time that I went into panic mode. I called my Step Mom, because she works for the City's dispatch center. She told me that we needed to have the Fire Department come out so she called me back on her recorded line and dispatched the Fire Department and the Utility company to come out to make sure that everything was okay.

We also weren't allowed to be in the house at this point. So we put our fur babies in their carrier kennels and went and stood outside and waited for the Fire Department to get there. About 10 minutes later, they showed up. They went inside and checked everything out and actually brought the detector outside with them. They said they weren't getting any readings, and that more than likely the detector needed a new battery(which they tried and it still was making that awful noise) or it was defective. I felt like an idiot at this point.

After the firefighters left(this made me a little sad, a few of them were pretty cute. Shhhhh! Don't tell my husband) the utility company came out and he did a more thorough check of the house and said that everything was okay. He also told us that the detector was defective and that we should invest in a more expensive one that has a digital display so that we could see what the ppm(parts per million) is and then decide if we are in any real danger.

This was all within the first two hours of my day, so my expectations for this day right now are not real high. Overall though, I am glad that nothing was really wrong and I am glad that we decided to error on the side of caution. Like they always say, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Hope you guys are having a better day.


1 comment:

  1. Omg that sucks! It is so scary and such a horrible sound! When we first moved in ours went haywire and apparently went off all day while we were at work. Mr. Fresh legitamately trashed the house trying to get out. It was horrible.


Comments are way rad and totally make my day. I love reading each and everyone one of them :)