Friday, June 8, 2012

Wishing Tree

I told you guys a while back about the inspiration I got from Laura over at Saying "I Do" to do a Wishing Tree. Hers turned out so great and I thought it was such a cute idea and I knew that we had to have one at our wedding. After talking with Laura about it and asking her what she did with all of her tags afterwards, she so kindly offered to send me her left over tags. They were perfect. The only changes we made to them were switching out the string to match our colors. 

The tree part proved to be a little bit more difficult. I looked at all of the craft stores and any store that sold Christmas decorations for those branches that already have the lights on them. Well after much searching, I decided not to go that way because of the how much it would cost. They weren't cheap so we had to find another alternative. Well, one day I was sitting in my office and I looked out the window to see that our maintenance guys were trimming branches off of the tree outside my work. I immediately ran outside and asked them if I could have the branches. They said yes and they bagged them up for me and we took them home. We cut them down with a pair of shears and they were perfect. We then added some jeweled garland and voila! We had a Wishing Tree!


I made the sign for the Wishing Tree by using the same poem that Laura used. I think I changed one or two words, but for the most part it was the same. I printed it on a really pretty paper that I picked up from Hobby Lobby and I put it in a pretty frame that I bought from JoAnne's.





The tags that Laura sent us with a different ribbon.
Some of our guests filling out the tags


The crystal garland 




Overall we had about 30 something tags that our guest filled out with advice and well wishes for us. I wanted to share a few of our favorites with you. 


This one came from Lou's husband and actually almost made me cry





This one came from by boss who has been married for a very long time


Our Wishing Tree was a big hit with our guests. We got a lot of compliments on it and we loved reading all of the tags the next day. It was a very cheap and easy project that provided our guests with something to do and just one more way to make our day that much more special. 

What do you think of our Wishing Tree? Are you planning on doing something similar for your wedding?

Photobucket

P.S.

I still have about 60 or so unused tags, so if anyone is interested in them, let me know and I will pass them along to you.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad that those tags worked for you!! I've been waiting for this post :) So clever what you did with the branches, they're perfect! And I love what some of your guests wrote. Yay, that whole table looks really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your tree turned out! It looked great. The advice is so fun to read!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are way rad and totally make my day. I love reading each and everyone one of them :)

 
DESIGN BY THE BLOG DECORATOR